Wednesday 23 January 2008

An open letter to Vir Sanghvi

AN OPEN LETTER TO VIR SANGHVI

After I read the column by Vir Sanghvi on the America concert in Hindustan Times, Brunch Sunday Magazine I said “ There couldn’t be two more different kind of guys on earth. I mean me and Vir Sanghvi.” I could spot a smile on my wife’s face when I said this. She looked amused at my temerity to even go as far as to make a comparison with a famous journalist.. a public face. Here I am a small time Govt employee living in a CPWD apartment in Delhi. Vir Sanghvi is right up there. Oxford educated, appears on TV, wields a nifty pen, eats and lives in luxury hotels in India and abroad, rubs shoulders with celebrities, businessmen, politicos and TV stars. Yeah that’s he, diametrically at the opposite end of the social spectrum.
And I, well.. I studied in Govt Victoria college in Palghat, a small town in Kerala (which I am sure no one has heard this side of the Vindhyas), worked some time in a PSU bank and now work in the Defence Ministry in Delhi. My average eatery is Saravana Bhavan , I used to love the Chennai Br but the Delhi one is not exactly cheap in comparison. A visit to Swagath in Defence colony (one of Sanghvi’s favourites) is an occasion for celebration with a typical order of fish curry and plain rice. The prawns and crab don’t fit my pocket although on a day when we are feeling rich, we do indulge in such luxuries. The rare visit abroad is on official duty with delegations of the Govt. Although we stay in luxury hotels on such occasions, I never could distinguish between wines or various other kinds of liquers and champagne. Our allowance is $75 per day with free breakfast in the hotel. Lunches and dinners are normally official affairs and hence it never came to looking around for the nearest Mc Donalds, the only place we could afford on the allowance. For all I care Foie gras is a piece of salty, thick and pasty substance and the revelation that is the liver of a bird makes me want to puke. I frankly don’t see how caviar is categorized as luxury food. Those beds with multiple layers and pristine white sheets in Hilton, Paris and Willard Intercontinental Washington etc don’t bring me sleep. The average tariff for a night in these places is close to what I take home as salary every month. I care two hoots about the service of the Bell boys and receptionists in these snooty places since I just don’t belong there. I dress poorly since I can’t afford nice tailored suits with my Government salary. I drive my small, battered, six year old Maruti Zen to office and come back to a cosy evening with my wife and 12 year old son in our Government quarters in HUDCO place in Delhi.
It is when Vir Singhvi writes about music that I realize how similar we are. I am not allowed to state my opinions on his views of politicians and politics, nor do I wish to. Having had occasion to see governance at close quarters, I have more scandalous things to share. When I read his columns on music, it is almost as if a musical soul has been transplanted by the Almighty on two different people in opposite ends of the social strata. When I read him on music and his favourite bands I wonder how many such similar souls exist. In the late seventies and early eighties I spent every waking hour listening to Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Simon & Garfunkel, Bread, America, Jethrotull, Pink Floyd and other such bands that defined a generation. I too can recollect every word in ‘A horse with no name’ by America. I didn’t catch the next plane and be there for the America concert in Bombay for the simple reason that I couldn’t afford such luxuries in the midst of my middle class existence. Yeah, America did produce some great music but I think their “Lonely people” is a great song for the sentiments they convey. He forgot mention of it in his column. I think ‘Wasted on the way’ & ‘Helplessly hoping’ are two great songs of the CSN which blends the vocal chords of three talented persons to create magic. I love the Bread for their lovely song called “Everything I own”. Recently I have gotten around to downloading video clips from Youtube using a converter into my ipod. I wish we could do that when we were younger. We listened to a whole lot of music without knowing how they looked or how they played on stage. And I am amazed at the choice of music that is available in stores these days. Although I am a bit irritated that some niche Folk singers like Pete Seeger and Peter, Paul & Mary are even now not available. My mobile alerts me with the starting notes of Clapton’s Lay Down Sally, a great song with lovely blues style guitar play. When my wife calls, the tune changes to Acres Wild by Jethrotull, a country style banjo piece- just the sort of music that could snap me back to reality.
I did sincerely try to make that generational leap. My twelve year old son listens to Green Day, Eminem, Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit and Black eyed Peas. I think Green day is rather good- great lyrics in some numbers like Boulevard of Broken Dreams. Linkin Park is good in parts, a bit loud though. But Black eyes Peas with continuous repeated chatter Bebot Bebot beb…and sudden yells of Philippino …Philippino in the background is not up my alley. I did seriously try to instill in him some appreciation of music of a bygone era. Started by telling him that most of the bands I listen to are from a time before my college days in the early eighties. But I now leave him to explore his own choices.
I start my day in Office booting up the PC softly playing “Love will keep us alive” a latter day love song from Eagles’ Hell freezes over album and go on progressing to some soulful songs from Leonard Cohen, Dylan, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Joan Baez and then some lusty beats from Sting, Fleetwood Mac, some guitar wizardry by Dire Straits, some good old soft rock from Bad Company, Reo Speedwagon and Barclay James Harvest. There is always music playing softly in the background at work, very unlikely tastes for a Govt employee. My office is a small hole in the wall in South Block. Yeah in my college days, I chose my friends on the principle that if he listens to Beatles he can’t be a bad guy. Although it might sound shallow, I never went wrong in my choices.
I am sure Vir Sanghvi would approve of my tastes in music. Good going Vir Sanghvi…… Nice to know there are more of us. Keep those columns going. Meanwhile I can tolerate those pieces on food in famous restaurants and service in luxury hotels which cost a bomb. If you love my favourite bands you can’t be wrong about food and board either.

1 comment:

chowringhee said...

Thank you for sharing this information and Very good looking blog.very informative article.
laxmi nagar restaurant, indian food,chinese food