Tuesday 16 September 2008

Times of trouble

On Saturday night, the 13th of September 2008, I was mobbed by calls from old friends to see whether I am alive. Delhi has come under attack once again. Five explosions spread across the city. The mobile lines were jammed and the landline kept ringing. While mechanically affirming that I am hale and hearty, I wondered where the motherland is headed and how long is this mayhem going to continue. I know that our time will also come. If it is death by terrorist attack, I can only hope that it results in instant death; not in prolonged battle for life. Even walking close to garbage dump can pose a hazard to life
Islam is perhaps going through the midlife crisis that Christianity went through in the Middle Ages. Read about the Spanish inquisition, proselytization, dark arts etc practiced through the ages. Christianity has evolved into a compassionate religion after a violent past. Islam being the newest Semitic religion, which draws a lot from the same theory of Genesis in the Bible, is perhaps in that stage which Christianity was in the Middle Ages. All religions carry a lot of absurdity in their holy books and scriptures. Hence we have misguided youth believing in life hereafter where, seven virgin houris await to entertain and titillate their senses for services rendered to further the cause of jihad on earth. Eastern religions, while beiong equally absurd are less structured and freer in terms of choices. I wish every religion would leave that space for the non-believer and tolerate them in their midst. I also wish religion would become less important in our public discourse. Increasingly society is being segmented into compartments with very little interaction at any level. With increased westernization and globalisation, it is surprising that these identities are not being submerged.
It is sad that public places are bombed in the name of a compassionate God. If nothing else, it would only result in Ghettoisation of the minorities. A community that is backward is now being viewed with mistrust. One of my friends with whom I enjoy these debates on God/ religion and spirituality says that at least 30 % of Hindus trapped in the cruelty of caste system lead a much more brutalized life. Discrimination in jobs, social norms, means of survival etc make the dices loaded heavily against them. Nevertheless they suffer in silence. They aren’t bombing public places in the name of Caste or justice. I tell him that what worries me more is the feelings of the ordinary liberal Muslim who is under the scanner of suspicion for no reason other than belonging to the faith or just born to parents of belief. Let us not view our fellow human beings with suspicion for the dark deeds of some. We can only hope that this scourge is limited to a few misguided youth and will be wiped out soon.
Witness the US Department of Homeland Security in action. One is bound to feel discriminated due to the colour of brown skin while traveling in the US. But these guys don’t take chances. The public employees don’t bend rules. You can’t possibly say “Jaante Ho Main Kaun Hoon ?” (Do you know who I am) when flagged down by the Traffic Police for a minor violation. It is worrying to see the Indian security and intelligence agencies coming for most flak. They have the toughest task to perform. And they work in a hostile environment. Hope these incidents would result in a long-term revamp of the security architecture. In our time, we might yet see an end to constables doing domestic chores in the homes of VIPs. We might also see biometric cards issued to all citizens- something, which even third world countries have succeeded in doing. Suppose fingerprints are collected from a blast site. Is there a national database for verification? I earnestly hope things change….
*************************************
Books : Read “One hundred years of Solitude” (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)once again during my father’s illness. This time didn’t go past 200 odd pages. Most of it through the night on a vigil outside the Intensive care unit in Jubilee Mission Medical college Hospital in Thrissur, Kerala.
Someone suggested that I read British author Peter Robinson knowing my passion for British crime fiction. I read “Dead Right”. It is an OK book. Not in the league of Colin Dexter or the various women writers I admire. Looking forward to more books on the DCI Banks mysteries.
Books piling up near the bedside and yet to be read are “Argumentative Indian”, by Amartya Sen, “The God Delusion” by Richard Dawkins and “Military Inc” by Ayesha Siddiqa- (bless my anonymous friend who donated this expensive book, knowing how eager I was to read of Pakistan’s Military Industries: I would never bring myself to shell out Rs 1700 on a slim volume).
The Missus is reading James Herriot’s biography. I never took a shine to Herriot- A Yorkshire veterinarian peddling his skills in the placid quiet of the English countryside- occasionally disturbed by bovine constipation or feline cataract.
Am now trying to finish “Sea of Poppies” by Amitav Ghosh- a book borrowed by the Missus from the Eloor lending library in South Extension, Delhi. This is one writer who has matured and grown with age like exquisite wine. I loved the Glass Palace and Hungry Tide. I read him savouring every word. We have been members of Eloor Lending Library for more than 19 years in various branches in Cochin (only I, before marriage), Chennai, Kolkata and Delhi at various stages of life. They ought to give the Missus and I Lifetime achievement awards. I read “The White Tiger” by Arvind Adiga also from Eloor. It is surprising to see Adiga and Ghosh short-listed for the same award. Being Time correspondent in Delhi helps I suppose.
Eating joints in Delhi: Can’t afford them anymore. Even my favourite Swagath at Defence Colony has hiked their prices beyond the Babu’s means. I am not a party type who would take up every invitation for dinner. In a job where many would love to wine and dine you, I would rather do that with old friends with similar tastes. Even if I have to pick up the tab!!! Did try China fare in Khan market, which makes a mean Prawns Mee Foon. It is fairly inexpensive. Longing to indulge in the seafood fare at Ponnuswamy Hotel or the Velu Military Hotel in Chennai. Cheap and Best Saar!!!! As the Chennai makkal are bound to say….
Favourite Blogs: Sidin Vadukut is the only one I read with regularity. Lest someone should accuse me of nepotism, I reduce five marks from him for being a Keralite. He has a great sense of humour of the self-deprecatory kind.
I also discovered Mayank Austen Soofi. The name initially conjured up visions of an a-historic, transgender breakthrough in genetic science. No, it is someone called Mayank Singh, a correspondent in Hindustan Times, a journalist who runs four blogs including one called Pakistan Paindabad. He has his heart in the right place- a strange affinity for Arundhati Roy notwithstanding.
Music: Still stuck in the same grove. I promise myself to try Black-eyed Peas and Cold play some time during the next year. My old Pioneer system has been sold for a song. I bought an amplifier and bookshelf speakers from Norge, a small time Bombay company specialized in making audiophile grade equipment. Mr. Bajaj, the owner is running his company / workshop from a dinghy building in Hammersmith Industrial Estate in Sitla Devi Temple road, Bombay. I met him twice before finally zeroing in on his audio system. The equipment is not exactly great in terms of finish. It is inexpensive, but produces good sound. I have thus done my bit in favour of small scale Indian Industry as against big companies like Bose, Onkyo, Marantz and Denon. I am yet to buy a dedicated CD player. For the past one year I have been connecting the ipod to the Norge system; which is a sub optimal solution. Let the pay hike take effect… We’ll think about a CD player.

No comments: