Thursday 8 January 2009

Adieu to Hindustan, briefly

Sorry about this long absence: I owe an explanation to my three readers. I am busy packing up to leave India for a year. A flurry of farewells, visitors and loose ends remaining to be tied up keeps me busy these days. Have been eating and drinking at places I haven't heard of before:(The Chilly seasons in Defence Colony and The kitchen in Khan Market takes the honours for good affordable cuisine- run by the same guy I heard). Also been eating at the Gymkhana Club- an indicator of upward social mobility in Delhi where my friends are members. Also at a couple of five star hotels I 'd rather not name or comment on- since I just don't belong there.
I am wistful and sad as I leave. When I was young I yearned to leave the country and make a life elsewhere. I thought I was doomed to remain here. Now I feel lucky to have been part of the change that is sweeping all over India and don't want to miss a moment of the excitement. I am much travelled now. I can hold a wine glass and make sensible conversation with important people. But my heart yearns for home.
I might be able to find more time to contribute to this blog (hopefully) since I will be having some free time when I am not seriously pursuing a Master in Public Policy in Australian National University. I am leaving on 12th morning with the missus who is also going to be my class mate.(Not really excited at that prospect). Chathu follows after a couple of weeks. Bye

No comments: